This smoothie is the perfect post-workout breakfast! Not only does it taste ridiculously good, but it’s filled with nutrients to replenish your body.
Before going vegan, I never bought into protein powders because I knew I could easily get protein from natural whole foods. While you can still get protein from a plant-based vegan diet, I think it’s beneficial to have a quick source of protein if you work out frequently.
After doing my research and spending some serious quality time in the protein aisle of my health food store, I chose to go with the pure pea protein isolate from Protein Supplies Australia. Not only is it vegan, but it’s also gluten free, non-GMO, low GI and has no additives! They also make a rice protein isolate, and sell vanilla and chocolate variations of both proteins (made with natural flavours and stevia). But the best part? You can buy all this goodness for a price that is actually reasonable! I only paid $39.95 for 1kg of pure protein, while many brands charge more than that for 500g of protein and nasty additives! Needless to say, I think I’ve found my perfect protein match.
– 1/3 c. almond milk pulp* (dehydrated in the oven)
– 1/3 c. plain organic multi-puffs
– 1/4 c. cacao nibs
– 2 tbsp. Loving Earth caramelised buckinis
– 2 tsp. cinnamon
– 1/4 tsp. vanilla powder
– 1 heaped tbsp. coconut oil (solid)
– 1 tbsp. sweetener (rice malt/pure maple syrup)
1. preheat oven to 150C
2. melt coconut oil and honey (separately)
3. mix dry ingredients in a bowl
4. add coconut oil and honey, then mix
5. spread on a lined tray and bake for 20 minutes or until browned
6. make your smoothie while you wait!
*Note: if you don’t have almond milk pulp, you could use gluten-free rolled oats instead.
– 1/2 a large banana
– 2 tbsp. pure strawberry compote (or 3 fresh strawberries)
– 1/3 c. frozen blueberries
– 3 frozen banana chunks
– 1 tsp. mesquite powder
– 1 heaped tbsp. protein powder
– 2 tbsp. psyllium husk
– 1 c. almond milk
1. blend together banana, berries and milk
2. add dry ingredients and blend again until smooth
3. serve with the other 1/2 banana sliced and granola
— Daisy xx